In part because annuals are on sale at most places right now, and given that I have two sets of broken-seated chairs in my garage awaiting a new life, it seemed like the perfect crafternoon activity post-work on Monday.
I had originally planned to remove the broken caning from the seats and simply drop a couple of old hanging planter pots into the openings. . . easy enough, but where's the challenge and fun in that? Not to mention that once I got the pots out and surveyed the amount of plants I had brought home, I realized that there wouldn't be quite enough space in the pots for the plants to be happy enough.
|Thing 1 and Thing 2; both seats in disrepair!|
|I used a pair of snips (aka gardening clippers) to cut away the caning from the edges.|
|The pot fits. . . but we can do so much better!|
|Action shot! I stapled the chicken wire to the|
underside of each chair seat.
|Hard to see, but the chicken wire creates a basket beneath the seat.|
The flexibility of the chicken wire allowed me to stretch it out to accommodate
the plants and soil.
|I doubled the burlap over and pushed it into the chicken wire basket.|
|All tucked in for the rest of the summer|
|These guys now reside in the planter, plus an unlabeled guy - the light green|
|Hello, new friends!|
Note the artsy drape of the burlap. . . clearly intentional, or I used random
sizes of burlap. You decide.
|Statement planter chairs. Kin to statement rocks, which every decent garden needs.|