Sunday, November 10, 2013

Mistake-Rib Knee Socks - Complete!

Remember the socks I mentioned in my summer projects post back in September? Well, I finally finished them this morning - just a few weeks later than predicted.
nearly knee socks!
I'm pleased with how they turned out. They're just the right length, and the elastic in the yarn should hold them up - my fingers are crossed. The only thing that could make them a little better is if I had found a similar elastic-y yarn with wool. These are mainly cotton, so will be great in the spring and fall, but slightly less warm for the winter - but I can always wear them over tights.

The yarn is from Knit Picks, but seems to be discontinued - which is a bummer since I like it! So I'm on the look out now for a wool & elastic sock yarn to make another pair.

The mistake rib is knit over a multiple four stitches, plus three. The first row is k2, p2 to the end, the second row is p2, k2 to the end. Since I was working in the round, I did need to adjust my second row so that I was one stitch off to give the "mistake" in the rib. Rather than cast on an even amount of stitches, I cast on an odd amount, and the pattern ended up working itself out.

The sock pattern is my standard go-to (which you think I would have memorized by now) - Classic Socks, by Yankee Knitter Designs. I've had the pattern for what seems like forever, and I really like it. It's a little bit of a choose-your-own-adventure because it includes directions for three different yarn weights for five different sizes (Baby, Child Small, Child Medium, Women, Men), and it's very easy to follow. I had misplaced the pattern several years ago and was in a panic until I realized it was tucked away with an unfinished pair of socks.

Perfect timing, since it is officially knee-sock season.

No comments:

Post a Comment