I like to refer to the token sweatshirt from my undergrad days as the "$350 sweatshirt" because I received it after mailing in the $350 deposit to hold my spot when I decided to go to Clarkson. Of course they were indiscriminate in selecting the "welcome-to-college-thanks-for-the-first-of-a-lot-of-money-you-will-give-us" sweatshirt to send to me, and consequently it is a large . . . while I am not. Luckily, the late 90s were all about over-sized clothes, so in the grand scheme of things at the time the size was inconsequential. Not to mention that I was at an engineering school where dressing stylishly didn't feel all that crucial, except during job fairs (note to current students: sweatshirts are generally not acceptable job fair attire).
|the 90s are alive in this sweatshirt|
|stylin' grad school swag|
Both sweatshirts are Champion brand, and clearly the company has changed with the times, since the general construction of the sweatshirts has updated:
- (L) The '90s CU sweatshirt is your standard construction: a square tube (the body) with two slight trapezoids (sleeves) coming off each side at about a 90 degree angle, creating a boxy-cut with no shape.
- (R) The '10s LU sweatshirt has smaller front and back panels, side panels that help create some shaping, and raglan-style sleeves that also create some shaping.
Sleeves: I cut off the sleeves and measured them against the LU, then pinned and sewed a new seam from cuff to armpit, trimming the excess with my pinking shears (leaving about a half inch of fabric).
|off with the sleeves|
|eyeballing the new width|
|new arm seams|
|eyeballing the size|
|attempting to make even side seams|
|much better fit. |
some people pay a lot of money for sleeveless sweatshirts.
I am not one of them. nor should you be.
|ready for reassembly|
|clearly I have excellent eyeballing skills|
|pinned for sewing|
. . . And then my sewing machine stopped working. . .
It's an old Singer Featherweight that hasn't seen much action in the last few years, so I can't blame it for taking a break. . . However, when I took it to the repair shop, "teacher magic" kicked in and the dang thing worked as soon as the guy plugged it in (teacher magic is what I call it since it's often my students claiming something won't work or happen - usually in a lab - until I happen to be in the general vicinity of the students). Grr. Since I was already in Middlebury helping my mom with a gardening job, I took the liberty of using her machine to finish it up. When I sewed the arm holes I stretched out the fabric a little as I went around because I didn't have elastic thread, or a serger (wish list!), and I didn't want there to be any restriction in the seams.
Less than two hours (total) and one much-better-fitting sweatshirt emerged:
except for the fact that it's kind of too warm to be
wearing a sweatshirt right now.
what with the humidity and all.